Our History

Northwest Christian University opened its doors in 1895 and continues to serve a vital role in the heritage and development of higher education throughout the region.


photo1168What started as the Eugene Divinity School in 1895 (with free tuition for the first five students enrolled in the fall of that year) by founder and pastor-educator Eugene C. Sanderson, Northwest Christian University has taught countless Christians the ways of wisdom, faith, and service.

Although known as Eugene Bible University by 1908, it was much more than its name implied. Between 1908 and 1929, EBU constructed the Administration and Music Buildings, as well as other now non-existent structures, and operated the Pacific Christian Hospital (known today as the Sacred Heart Medical Center), a home for the aged, a home for wayward boys, a two-year women’s college in south Eugene, and colleges in four other states. It also offered a student nursing program and a school of oratory and fine arts.

The Ups and Downs

Growing Years

More Changes - More Choices

Always Forward