The Office of Academic Advising provides individualized academic advising services for all students at NCU. Whether a graduate or undergraduate, each student is assigned an academic advisor who serves as the student’s primary contact for any questions pertaining to academic life at NCU. As advisors, we seek to build relationships with our students so we can understand and relate to the whole person. We recognize that many factors impact both your academic decisions and performance. We strive to look at the big picture while advising students. Our goal is to provide support and mentorship in a proactive, supportive way. We encourage students to check in with their academic advisors regularly, and also to connect with faculty and other resources on campus. While your academic advisor is an important resource, we encourage students to take ownership of their academic progress and to remember that it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to meet degree requirements.
It is important to understand what support your advisor will provide and what is expected of you as the student. NCU’s goal is to help students accomplish their academic goals by providing expertise, advice, encouragement, referrals, and other support services. Students are expected to take responsibility for their education.
Your Advisor Will
- Provide a safe, respectful, and confidential space to ask questions, discuss your interests, and express your concerns.
- Understand and effectively communicate NCU degree and program requirements and institutional policies and procedures.
- Assist you and support you in making course and major decisions.
- Provide resources and referrals
Your Advisor Will Expect You To
- Check your NCU email regularly – this is the official form of communication at NCU.
- Accept responsibility for your decisions, actions, and education.
- Schedule an appointment with and/or contact advisor regularly.
- Come to appointments prepared with questions, lists of topics for discussion, and/or courses for registration.
- Research University programs, policies, procedures, and opportunities as appropriate.
- Be courteous and plan ahead:
- Schedule appointments early;
- Cancel or reschedule as necessary;
- Respond to correspondences promptly;
- Silence cell phone prior to advising session.