Assistant Dean of Teacher Education
Eligible for Benefits
Northwest Christian University Overview
Northwest Christian University is a Christian, private, liberal-arts, comprehensive university closely affiliated with churches of the Stone-Campbell/Restoration Movement. From this unique heritage Northwest Christian University embraces the ideal that we are “Christians only” – but not the “only Christians” – and offers its resources to students and congregations of many church traditions. These students are affiliated with denominational and non-denominational groups, such as Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, Foursquare, Lutheran, Nazarene, Episcopal, Assembly of God, Catholic, and Community Churches. The University was founded in 1895 and is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
The successful candidate for this position must show commitment and have experience as an excellent teacher. The person in this position will mentor, coach and evaluate teacher candidates that are doing practicums out in schools. NCU Field Supervisors will also participate in informational meetings on campus approximately once a semester. A desire to support the mission of Northwest Christian University is paramount in this position.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide a solid role model of wisdom, faith, and service.
- Visit each student’s site frequently as outlined in each Field Experience packet and provide feedback to students.
- Establish and maintain communication with students, cooperating teachers and school administrators.
- Attend all Field Supervisor informational meetings.
- Provide resources and guidance to students in the areas of curriculum development, instructional strategies, assessment techniques and classroom management.
- Complete mid term and final evaluations in TaskStream for each student.
- Follow the current field experience packet as it pertains to student and supervisor’s roles and responsibilities.
- Fulfill any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Experience and Qualification Requirements
- Hold a current teaching license or have recently held a teaching license with TSPC.
- Candidate must be actively engaged in a Christian congregation and able to identify with and support the NCU Theological Context for Community statement.
- Ability to utilize Windows based software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and experience utilizing e-mail for the purposes of organizational communications.
- Candidate must possess exceptional interpersonal communication skills, listening skills, and the ability to speak and write clearly.
Working Conditions/Special Requirements
- NCU employees must have a maturing Christian Faith and live in compliance with the duties and expectations as detailed in the Employee Handbook
- The position requires a strong commitment to multiculturalism and diversity
- The position requires working in a non-smoking, drug free environment
- The employee must adhere to FERPA guidelines and student confidentiality at all times
- All employees of NCU are “mandatory reporters” under Oregon law. See http://www.oregon.gov/dhs/abuse/pages/mandatory_report.aspx for specific information
- The position requires a strong ability to communicate effectively and succinctly, both verbally and in writing, utilizing tact, patience and courtesy
- Listening skills and the ability to speak and write clearly are essential to this position. Must possess exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- The employee must have high personal motivation, with great attention to detail and accuracy
- This person must project a positive, vibrant and professional attitude in assisting people
- This person must have high ethics of honesty and confidentiality, with a genuine and gracious presence pertaining to the students, faculty, staff and business of the department and the University
- The position may require lifting up to 25 lbs, as well as bending, stooping, kneeling
- This position description is subject to change at any time
NCU employees are expected to abide by the Theological Context for NCU Community Life. Please read this document before continuing.
To be considered for this position, please submit the following materials:
- NCU Employment Application
- Cover letter addressing skills, experience, and knowledge
- Personal “Statement of Faith” that addresses how a maturing Christian faith finds expression in the candidate’s personal life, family life, community life, and current church membership. The faith statement should also address how the candidate integrates faith into his/her academic discipline, both inside and outside the classroom.
- Contact Information for three references to include the applicant’s pastor or another appropriate church leader who is able to address the applicant’s faith background.
Or mail application materials to:
Vice President for Academic Affairs
Northwest Christian University
828 E. 11th Ave.
Eugene, OR 97401
*Please include all requested materials. Incomplete application packets may result in disqualification.
Northwest Christian University’s Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report is available online (http://www.nwcu.edu/clery-act-brochure-2018) or you may also request a paper copy from the Office of Student Life by calling 541-684-7345. This report is required by federal law and contains policy statements and crime statistics for the university.