As a dedicated educator, you may often find yourself looking for resources that will help you effectively teach students with disabilities and help them learn successfully, whether in an inclusive environment or in a special education classroom.
The Special Education certificate promotes the mission of NCU by fostering an attitude of service and recognizing the contribution of all learners for the betterment of the whole. The curriculum is aligned with the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commision (TSPC) and the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC), and prepares graduates to incorporate safe and effective practices in special education.
The Special Education certificate program is 18 credits and can be completed in 11 months. Each cohort begins Summer Session 2. Coursework is completed on campus during the evening hours.
Students may complete the courses as a certificate candidate to be recommended for a Special Education endorsement on their teaching license. Students can also add a Special Education endorsement within their Master of Arts in Teaching or Master of Education program.
- Understand the current issues surrounding special needs students and families;
- Be culturally competent and integrate cultural responsiveness to all students and families;
- Be able to identify a broad range of disabilities and provide an environment that promotes equal access and learning;
- Practice and implement effective teaching strategies based on accepted philosophies and research;
- Learn to collaborate and build partnerships within the school community, families, and other advocates.
- A free application for admission.
- Official transcripts showing completion of a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Two disposition assessments.
- A personal interview.
- Applicants must hold a current teaching license.
Applications may be accepted on a space-available basis only.
Tuition and Financial Aid
2018-19 COST OF ATTENDANCE
At NCU, we know financial aid inside and out and can help you apply for and receive the best financial aid package available. For more information regarding financial aid,click here.
Courses in the Program
Gainful Employment Information
Program Director: Kathy Ditommaso Owen, M.S.
MAT Western Oregon University
Oversee the Teacher Education and School Counseling Programs